Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
The best Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe, with an insane cheesy sauce and topped with an overwhelming golden, cheesy topping.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
- Heat oven to 360°F/180°C/Gas 4.
- Put 5 liters of water to boil with a pinch of salt. When it starts to boil, pour over the pasta and boil it 2 minutes less than it’s specified on the packaging. Drain, return pasta to pot, add butter and toss until melted. Set aside to cool while making the cheesy sauce.
- In a big bowl, add the cheese(crumbled)/shredded Cheddar, chopped scallion, ham/bacon, unsalted cheese, sour cream, the eggs, and cream cheese. Mix well.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta into a 3.6L casserole dish. Mix well.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, mix again and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with smoked cheese/mozzarella or Parmigiano on top and bake for 12-15 minutes or until top is lightly golden.
Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe is best made fresh but if you need to make ahead, you should proceed like this: Cook the pasta and toss in butter, let it cool.
Prepare cheese sauce per recipe and topping. Store separately in the fridge until required. Mix sauce and pasta, top with cheese then bake like instructed in this recipe.
REHEATING LEFTOVERS: the best way is to microwave to warm a bit, then melt some butter in a pan and add the pasta. Mix continuously so as not to cling to the bottom of the pan.
Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese nutrition per serving (6 BIG servings!).
Amount Per Serving (250 g)
Calories 551 – Calories from Fat 261
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29g 45%
Saturated Fat 17g 85%
Cholesterol 89mg 30%
Sodium 847mg 35%
Potassium 326mg 9%
Total Carbohydrates 48g 16%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 23g 46%
Vitamin A 18.3%
Vitamin C 0.3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.